Travel nurses have a unique and rewarding career that allows them to explore different places and help people in need. However, travel nursing also comes with some challenges, such as finding affordable and reliable car insurance.
Car insurance is essential for travel nurses, as they often need to drive long distances and across state lines to reach their assignments. However, not all car insurance companies offer the same rates or discounts for travel nurses. Some factors that can affect your car insurance premium as a travel nurse include:
- Your driving record and history
- Your vehicle make, model, and year
- Your credit score and payment history
- Your state of residence and registration
- Your coverage limits and deductibles
- Your professional affiliation and occupation
Fortunately, there are some ways that travel nurses can save money on car insurance and get the best quotes possible. Here are some tips to help you find the right car insurance for your travel nursing needs.
Compare quotes from different companies
One of the best ways to find cheap car insurance is to shop around and compare quotes from different companies. You can use online tools like Policygenius or The Zebra to get personalized quotes from multiple insurers in minutes. You can also contact local agents or brokers to get more information and advice.
When comparing quotes, make sure to look at the coverage details and not just the price. You want to get enough coverage to protect yourself and your vehicle in case of an accident, theft, or damage. You also want to check the customer service and claims process of each company, as well as their financial strength and reputation.
Look for discounts for nurses
- GEICO: Nurses who are members of certain professional groups, such as the Association of Women’s Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN), can get up to 8% off their car insurance rates with GEICO.
- Liberty Mutual: Nurses who are members of the American Association of Registered Nurses can get a 12% discount on their car insurance premiums with Liberty Mutual.
- Farmers: Nurses can qualify for a 5% discount on their car insurance rates with Farmers, depending on their state and affiliation.
- Nationwide: Nurses who are members of the American Nurses Association or the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists can get up to 10% off their car insurance rates with Nationwide.
To get these discounts, you may need to provide proof of your employment as a nurse, such as a hospital ID badge or a nursing degree. You may also need to verify your membership with the professional group that partners with the insurance company.
Consider short-term or temporary car insurance
If you are only planning to stay in a certain state or location for a short period of time, you may want to consider short-term or temporary car insurance. These are policies that last for a few days, weeks, or months, depending on your needs. They are usually cheaper than regular car insurance policies, but they also have less comprehensive benefits.
Short-term or temporary car insurance can be useful for travel nurses who want to avoid gaps in coverage or switching policies frequently. However, they also have some drawbacks, such as:
- They may not meet the minimum liability requirements of some states
- They may not cover medical expenses or personal injury protection
- They may not cover collision or comprehensive damage
- They may not be renewable or extendable
- They may not be available in every state or from every company
Before you buy short-term or temporary car insurance, make sure to check the policy details and exclusions carefully. You also want to compare the cost and benefits with regular car insurance policies to see which one is more suitable for your situation.
Choose the best travel nurse car insurance for you
Travel nurses have a lot of things to consider when it comes to car insurance. They need to find a policy that offers adequate coverage, affordable rates, and flexibility. By comparing quotes from different companies, looking for discounts for nurses, and considering short-term or temporary car insurance, travel nurses can get great car insurance quotes and save money on their premiums.